This consultation was open from:
April 27, 2018
to June 26, 2018
We are proposing a Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) to reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs; changes to the ministry mandate; consideration of climate change; changes to the participation of Indigenous peoples; and to ensure that the language used in the SEV is consistent with the language used in the EBR.
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs is proposing a Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) in order to reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and changes in its structure and mandate, as well as to acknowledge the priority of addressing climate change.
The Environmental Bill of Rights Act, 1993 (EBR) is unique legislation and an important tool in environmental protection. It establishes mechanisms to ensure the public is informed, engaged and consulted on matters of environmental significance, as well as to provide for government accountability in environmental decision-making.
The SEV requires that each ministry prescribed under the act develop and publish a SEV specific to the work of that ministry. A SEV is a ministry’s statement of environmental principles and a guidance document directing the minister and ministry staff as they make decisions regarding policies, acts, regulations and instruments that might affect the environment.
The SEV requires that the SEV explain:
- how the purposes of the act are to be applied when decisions that might significantly affect the environment are made in the ministry; and
- how consideration of the purposes of the act should be integrated with other considerations, including social, economic and scientific considerations, that are part of decision-making in the ministry.
The ministry is proposing a SEV to:
- Reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs;
- Reflect the ministry mandate
- Incorporate commitments to mitigate and adapt to climate change;
- Affirm the important role of Indigenous peoples participation in ministry decision-making; and
- Ensure that the language used in the SEV is consistent with the language used in the EBR.
Purpose of policy
To propose a SEV in order to reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, reflect changes in the ministry’s structure and mandate, and acknowledge the priority of addressing climate change.
Please note that the following notice is related to this posting:
Environmental Registry Posting Number 013-2834: Proposing a Statement of Environmental Values for the Ministry of Housing
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice