This consultation was open from:
June 29, 2019
to July 29, 2019
The Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines (ENDM) is proposing to introduce an updated Statement of Environmental Values (SEV). This SEV will replace those of the former Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
ENDM is proposing to introduce an updated SEV. In doing so, the current individual SEVs of the former Ministry of Energy and Ministry of Northern Development and Mines would be replaced with a merged SEV reflecting the present structure of the Ministry.
The Environmental Bill of Rights, 1993 (EBR) establishes ways to ensure the public is informed, engaged and consulted on matters of environmental significance. This makes government accountability in environmental decision-making better. The purposes of the EBR are:
- to protect, conserve and, where reasonable, restore the integrity of the environment by the means provided in the Act;
- to provide sustainability of the environment by the means provided in the Act; and
- to protect the right to a healthful environment by the means provided in the Act.
The EBR requires that prescribed ministries, including ENDM, prepare SEVs that explain:
- how environmental principles will be incorporated in decisions made by a prescribed ministry which might significantly affect the environment; and
- how consideration of the purposes of the EBR should be integrated with other considerations, including social, economic, Indigenous, and scientific considerations, that are part of decision-making in the ministry.
On June 29, 2018, the Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines, were merged to form ENDM.
On April 1, 2019, amendments to the regulations under the EBR were introduced to reflect the merger of the Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines, into ENDM.
ENDM has drafted a proposed SEV to reflect the present structure of the new ministry, which is available below. ENDM is required to finalize the SEV and post it on the Environmental Registry of Ontario prior to January 1, 2020.
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice