This consultation was open from:
September 20, 2022
to November 4, 2022
This proposal is for the renewal of Environmental Compliance Approval No.19-WIN-32809 for Triple "S" Sanitation Limited for a hauled sewage waste disposal site located in Bothwell, Ontario.
15727 Longwoods Road
Site location map
The location pin reflects the approximate area where environmental activity is taking place.View this location on a map opens link in a new window
Triple "S" Sanitation Limited
24544 Huffs Side Road
Rural Route 7
Hauled sewage, commonly known as septage, is the waste material removed from portable toilets, sewage holding tanks and septic systems. Untreated hauled sewage from holding tanks and septic tanks may be disposed of on land in accordance with an Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) issued under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA).
This proposal is for the issuance of an Environmental Compliance Approval for a hauled sewage disposal site.
- application type: renewal
- total useable area: 55 acres
- type of disposal: surface spreading
Highlights of proposed approval requirements
- prior to operating at the site, the company shall develop written procedures covering:
- procedures for reporting to the ministry, and municipal authorities as required, in the event a spill occurs at the site
- a list of the personnel responsible for operations at the site
- the company shall ensure that all personnel involved in the operation of this hauled sewage disposal site are aware of the requirements of this approval and are trained in spill prevention
- spills of a pollutant that cause or may cause an adverse effect are to be reported to the ministry's Spills Action Centre and the company shall take appropriate remedial action to limit the impact
- the company must ensure that no unnecessary off-site effects, such as vermin, vectors, odour, dust, litter, noise or traffic, result from the operation of this site
- written records must be maintained in a log book that documents daily operations as well as any spills that occur and any complaints received
- no hauled sewage shall be spread or disposed of at the site when the ground is frozen, ice-covered or snow covered
- no hauled sewage shall be spread at the site under conditions where hauled sewage may runoff or discharge from the site
- hauled sewage cannot be spread during winter months
- the approval sets out a maximum spreading rate; in addition, spreading cannot take place within specified distances of sensitive features such as surface water, wells and residences, or on steeper sloped land
- prior to the spreading of hauled sewage, the operator shall ensure the useable spreading area is clearly flagged or digitally designated to clearly identify setbacks from sensitive features and any areas where spreading is not allowed
- no processed organic waste, grease trap waste or other waste, other than hauled sewage, shall be disposed of at the site
Prior to the spreading of hauled sewage, the operator is responsible for ensuring that all necessary approvals, licences or permits that may be required from other authorities, such as the local municipality, conservation authority, MNRF and OMAFRA, have been acquired.
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice