Lockerby Mine - Disposition of Crown-owned chattels

ERO number
Notice type
Environmental Assessment Act, R.S.O. 1990
Posted by
Ministry of Mines
Bulletin posted
Last updated

This notice is for informational purposes only. There is no requirement to consult on this initiative on the Environmental Registry of Ontario. Learn more about the types of notices on the registry.

Bulletin summary

The Ministry of Mines is proposing to dispose of an ore pile at the Lockerby Mine in accordance with section 53(1) of the Mining Act. Project planning is being carried out in accordance with the Class Environmental Assessment for activities of the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines under the Mining Act (Class Environmental Assessment).

Why consultation isn't required

The disposition of Crown-owned chattels is an undertaking subject to the Environmental Assessment Act. This proposed Category B project is being carried out in accordance with the Class Environmental Assessment for the activities of the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines under the Mining Act. Consultation will be completed in accordance with requirements of the Class Environmental Assessment.

Bulletin details

Proposal details

The Lockerby Mine (AMIS number 05606) is a former underground copper-nickel mine located approximately 17 kilometres southwest of the community of Chelmsford and 30 kilometres west of the City of Greater Sudbury, Ontario. The mine is accessed from the north off Highway 144 via Gordon Lake Road (also known as Lockerby Mine Access Road). The mine is bordered by the Crean Hill mine to the west.

The underground mine operated discontinuously since the 1960’s and suddenly ceased operations in 2015. The mining rights were forfeited to the Crown in early 2020. An ore pile remains at the mine with an estimated volume of 27,000 cubic metres. There is evidence of metal leaching/acid rock drainage (ML/ARD) associated with the ore pile which has contaminated adjacent properties and poses a risk to aquatic life in surrounding surface water features.

In accordance with section 53 (1) of the Mining Act, all chattels remaining on the property within six months after the forfeiture, including ore, belong to the Crown and may be sold or otherwise disposed of by the Minister. The removal of the ore pile is a priority by the Ministry due to the ongoing contamination risk to adjacent properties and surface water features. The proposed work is the disposition of the ore pile through a competitive procurement process. The removal of the ore from the property is estimated to occur over one to two weeks.

Public consultation

You are invited to provide input and express any concerns about this proposed project. Comments must be received by June 17, 2024. For more information or to submit comments please contact:

Michaela Haring, Environmental Planner
Ministry of Mines, Mine Rehabilitation Section
Telephone: 1-249-885-3631

Please note that personal information provided in a submission (such as name, address, and telephone number) and your views and opinions are being collected by MINES under the authority of the Environmental Assessment Act for the purpose of engaging in public consultation and making decisions regarding the project. The personal information may also be shared with the Environmental Assessment and Permissions Branch of the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. The collection, use, and disclosure of this information are all governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about the collection of this information should be directed to the person listed above.

Supporting materials

View materials in person

Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.

Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.

Ministry of Mines

933 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury, ON
P3E 6B5

Office phone number

Connect with us


Sign up for notifications

We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.

Follow this notice