How to appeal

You can appeal all or part of this this instrument to the appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal by submitting a notice of appeal to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

There is an additional “leave to appeal” right under the Environmental Bill of Rights.

Who can appeal

A notice of appeal can be submitted by:

  • individuals
  • corporations
  • public bodies

A notice of appeal can’t be submitted by:

  • an unincorporated association
  • an unincorporated group

You can, however, submit a notice of appeal as a member of the unincorporated association or group.

You have to have made an oral submission at a public meeting or a written submission to the council before the official plan amendment was adopted. Note: this is not required if you are appealing a proposal for provisional consent (no official plan in place).

Notice of appeal

Your notice of appeal must include:

  • the specific part, or parts of the official plan amendment that you wish to appeal
  • the reasons for your appeal
  • the appeal fee, payable by certified cheque or money order to the Minister of Finance, Province of Ontario

Note: appeal fees and options for reductions are outlined in the fee chart.

Mail your notice of appeal

Send your notice of appeal to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing via the ‘issuing authority’ contact listed below.

Send a copy of your notice of appeal to the Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks. You can provide notice by email at or by mail at:

College Park
5th Floor, 777 Bay Street
Toronto, ON
M7A 2J3

Number of days decision is open for appeal
Appellate body in Instrument decision

Registrar, Ontario Land Tribunal
655 Bay Street, Suite 1500
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1E5
(416) 212-6349
(866) 448-2248

About the Ontario Land Tribunal