This notice is for informational purposes only. There is no requirement to consult on this initiative on the Environmental Registry of Ontario. Learn more about the types of notices on the registry.
Why consultation isn't required
Consultation is not required under the Environmental Bill of Rights, 1993 because Class EAs are not classified instruments or regulations.
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide notice about the administrative changes made by the director to the Class EAs.
Pursuant to section 15.4 (5) of the Environmental Assessment Act, the director has amended the 10 approved Class EAs with administrative changes. This notice serves as notice under section 15.4(7) of the Act, which provides that the director’s amendments come into effect upon posting of this notice.
The director has amended the following Class EAs:
- Class EA for Activities of the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines under the Mining Act (Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines)
- Class EA for Minor Transmission Facilities (Hydro One)
- Municipal Class EA (Municipal Engineers Association)
- Class EA for Remedial Flood and Erosion Control Projects (Conservation Ontario)
- Class EA for Waterpower Projects (Ontario Waterpower Association)
- Class EA for Resource Stewardship and Facility Development Projects (Ministry Natural Resources and Forestry)
- Class EA for Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves (Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks)
- Class EA for Provincial Transportation Facilities (Ministry of Transportation)
- Class EA for Public Work (Ministry of Government and Consumer Services)
- Go Transit Class EA
New standard terminology has been added to each Class EA to replace the existing terminology for some of the notices required by the Class EA, and terminology related to these notices, including:
- Notices of Completion
- Notices of Addendum
All Class EAs require proponents to issue, publish, etc. a public notice once the Class EA process has been completed to commence the final review period/ comment period. However, various Class EAs use different terminology for the notices (e.g. Notice of Submission, Notice of Filing) and the related terminology (e.g. publish, issue, public comment period, review period). The purpose of this administrative amendment is to create consistency between the 10 Class EA documents with respect to the notices and the related terminology by replacing the existing terminology used in the Class EA with consistent terminology for all the Class EAs.
The amendment also clarifies the requirement for each of the above notices to specify:
- the length of time for the comment period (e.g. 30 days)
- the dates when the comment period begins and ends
Please see the attachment for more details on the administrative changes.
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice