This consultation closes at 11:59 p.m. on:
October 11, 2020
The Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries is updating its Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) to incorporate changes to the ministry name, structure and mandate.
The Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries (MHSTCI) is proposing an updated Statement of Environmental Values (SEV). The updated SEV will replace the proposed individual SEVs of the former Ministry of Culture and the former Ministry of Tourism and will reflect the present structure of the ministry.
The Environmental Bill of Rights, 1993 (EBR) is unique legislation and an important tool in environmental protection. It establishes mechanisms to ensure the public is informed, engaged and consulted on matters of environmental significance, as well as to provide for government accountability in environmental decision-making.
The EBR requires that each ministry prescribed under the act develop and publish a SEV specific to the work of that ministry. A SEV is a ministry’s statement of environmental principles and a guidance document directing the minister and ministry staff as they make decisions regarding policies, acts, regulations and instruments that might affect the environment.
The EBR requires that the SEV explain:
- how the purposes of the act are to be applied when decisions that might significantly affect the environment are made in the ministry
- how consideration of the purposes of the act should be integrated with other considerations, including social, economic and scientific considerations, that are part of decision-making in the ministry
The Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries is proposing a SEV to:
- meet the requirement that ministries subject to the EBR prepare a SEV
- reflect changes in the ministry structure and mandate
- affirm the important role of Indigenous peoples’ participation in ministry decision-making
- acknowledge the priority of addressing a changing climate
- reflect the government’s Made in Ontario Environment Plan
- ensure that the language used in the SEV is consistent with the language used in the EBR
View materials in person
Important notice: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, viewing supporting materials in person is not available at this time.
Please reach out to the Contact listed in this notice to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice