This consultation closes at 11:59 p.m. on:
February 20, 2021
As committed to in our Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan, the MECP is proposing an amendment to its Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) in order to reflect changes in its mandate, to fulfill a commitment in the Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan with the addition of a climate change section, and to add a five-year review period.
The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) is proposing a new Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) in order to:
- fulfill a commitment in the Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan with the addition of a new section on climate change
- ensure the SEV remains up to date with the addition of a five-year review period
- update the ministry name, vision, and mandate to reflect the ministry’s expanded responsibilities for parks and conservation reserves, conservation authorities and species at risk and their habitat
- make minor administrative changes to align SEV language with language in the EBR, improving language throughout, and updating the prescribed ministries and MECP website links
- make additional language changes in some sections to be more consistent with Environment Plan language
- update language from “Aboriginal” to “Indigenous” to reflect current terminology used in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, by the Ministry of Indigenous Affairs (Ontario), and by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
The Environmental Bill of Rights, 1993 (EBR) establishes processes to ensure the public is informed, engaged and consulted on matters of environmental significance, as well as to provide for government accountability in environmental decision-making.
The Environmental Bill of Rights requires each prescribed ministry to develop and publish a Statement of Environmental Values which it must consider when making decisions that might significantly affect the environment. The EBR requires that the ministry’s SEV explain:
- how the purposes of the EBR are to be applied when decisions that might significantly affect the environment are made in the ministry
- how consideration of the purposes of the Act should be integrated with other considerations, including social, economic and scientific considerations, that are part of decision-making in the ministry
The EBR provides that the Minister may amend the SEV from time to time.
View materials in person
Important notice: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, viewing supporting materials in person is not available at this time.
Please reach out to the Contact listed in this notice to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
Connect with us
438 University Ave
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice