We extended this comment period by a day, until June 8, 2018, to make sure the comment period matches the same notice on the old Environmental Registry.
May 10, 2018
This consultation closes at 11:59 p.m. on:
June 8, 2018
We are proposing a Statement of Environmental Values to reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Infrastructure, the ministry mandate, consideration of climate change and to ensure that language used in the SEV is consistent with the language used in the Environmental Bill of Rights.
Description of policy
We are proposing a Statement of Environmental Values (SEV) in order to reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Infrastructure and changes in its structure and mandate, as well as to acknowledge the priority of addressing climate change.
The Environmental Bill of Rights Act, 1993 (EBR) is unique legislation and an important tool in environmental protection. It establishes mechanisms to ensure the public is informed, engaged and consulted on matters of environmental significance, as well as to provide for government accountability in environmental decision-making.
The SEV requires that each ministry prescribed under the act develop and publish a SEV specific to the work of that ministry. A SEV is a ministry’s statement of environmental principles and a guidance document directing the minister and ministry staff as they make decisions regarding policies, acts, regulations and instruments that might affect the environment.
The EBR requires that the SEV explain:
- how the purposes of the act are to be applied when decisions that might significantly affect the environment are made in the ministry; and
- how consideration of the purposes of the act should be integrated with other considerations, including social, economic and scientific considerations, that are part of decision-making in the ministry.
We are proposing a SEV to:
- Reflect the establishment of the Ministry of Infrastructure;
- Reflect the ministry mandate;
- Incorporate commitments to mitigate and adapt to climate change;
- Ensure that the language used in the SEV is consistent with the language used in the EBR.
Purpose of policy
To update the Ministry of Infrastructure’s Statement of Environmental Values to incorporate its name change, reflect changes in the ministry’s structure and mandate, and acknowledge the priority of addressing climate change.
View materials in person
You can view supporting materials in person. Some are not available online because of ownership rights or for accessibility reasons.
Get in touch with the contact person listed below to find out what materials are available.
You can view them in person at these locations:
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice