This consultation closes at 11:59 p.m. on:
December 20, 2019
We are proposing regulatory changes to Ontario’s Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reporting program to harmonize with the federal regulatory requirements. The amendments will reduce unnecessary costs and regulatory burden for reporters.
Proposed changes to greenhouse gas reporting
We are proposing changes to
- the Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Quantification, Reporting and Verification regulation (O. Reg. 390/18 or Reporting Regulation)
- the incorporated Guideline
We are proposing the following changes:
1. Aligning definition of facility with federal definition
- We are proposing to align the definition of “facility” under the Reporting Regulation with the facility definition under the federal Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program (GHGRP).
2. Aligning with federal quantification methods
- The quantification methods and other requirements for reporting GHG emissions under the Federal Output-Based Pricing System (OBPS) program and federal GHGRP program are different than those under the Ontario Reporting Regulation and Guideline.
- We are proposing to align Ontario methods and requirements with the federal quantification methods and other requirements for facilities, where feasible. In some cases, Ontario is proposing to require certain parameters to be reported by covered facilities to support the Emissions Performance Standard (EPS) program that are additional to what is required under the federal program.
- Overall, we expect harmonization with federal reporting requirements to reduce unnecessary costs and regulatory burden for covered facilities, while maintaining the quality of data reported to Ontario.
3. Ability for director to require a revised GHG report and verification
- The Reporting Regulation includes circumstances under which a facility is required to submit a revised GHG report to the director. We are proposing the following circumstances under which the director may request a revised GHG report from a covered facility:
- The director feels that the Accredited Verification Body (AVB) that has verified the GHG report has a potential threat to the AVB’s impartiality.
- Based on the emissions, production and other data submitted by the facility and verified by the AVB, the director has come to a different calculation of the Total Annual Emissions Limit (TAEL) or the verification amount in the GHG report.
- The revised GHG report, verified by an AVB with no conflict of interest, will be required to be submitted to the director within 90 days of receiving the director’s request being sent.
We propose to apply these amendments to the 2019 emissions year report due in June 2020.
Purpose of regulation
We are proposing these amendments to the GHG Reporting Regulation to:
- reduce unnecessary costs
- reduce regulatory burden
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice