There is no requirement to post this notice on the Environmental Registry of Ontario, but we want to hear your thoughts. Submit a comment and tell us what you think. Learn about the consultation process and types of notices on the registry.
This consultation closes at 11:59 p.m. on:
April 4, 2021
We are proposing updates to the Procedures for the Use of Risk Assessment under Part XV.1 of the Environmental Protection Act document to align it with latest regulatory requirements and best practices related to brownfields risk assessment. We are seeking feedback on the document so we can improve its overall quality and usefulness.
Why consultation isn't required
Updating guidance document only. The Procedures for the Use of Risk Assessment under Part XV.1 of the Environmental Protection Act document describes the legislative and regulatory requirements for conducting and submitting risk assessment reports under the Environmental Protection Act and Ontario Regulation 153/04. This Procedures document also contains plain language guidance for risk assessment practitioners (e.g. consultants, Qualified Persons) on how to conduct risk assessment work and prepare risk assessment reports.
The Procedures document was first released in 2005 and we are proposing to update it to be consistent with latest regulatory amendments and best practices.
The purpose of this proposal is to invite comments on the updated Procedures document, prior to finalizing. The feedback is expected to help improve the usability and quality of the document.
The Procedures for the Use of Risk Assessment under Part XV.1 of the Environmental Protection Act document:
- describes the legislative and regulatory requirements for conducting and submitting risk assessment reports under the Environmental Protection Act and Ontario Regulation 153/04
- contains plain language guidance for risk assessment practitioners (e.g. environmental consultants, qualified persons) on how to conduct risk assessment work and prepare risk assessment reports
Updates to the procedures document
As committed to in our Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan, we are taking steps to put vacant lands back to good use through the redevelopment and revitalization of brownfields, while maintaining the protection of human health and the environment.
As part of O. Reg. 153/04 proposal, the ministry is updating the Procedures and Guidance document, which hasn’t been updated in 15 years, to provide more guidance for risk assessment practitioners when preparing reports and reduce administrative burdens by:
- better describing the different types of risk assessments and the conceptual site model
- providing guidance on the use of the ministry’s approved model for contaminant screening purposes
Other Proposed Guidance
We are also seeking feedback on two other proposed guidance documents related to Brownfields and the Records of Site Condition program:
- Records of Site Condition: A Guide on Site Assessment, the Cleanup of Brownfield Sites and the Filing of Records of Site Condition. For more details on this proposal, see ERO Notice 019-2551
- Technical Guidance on Soil Vapour Intrusion Assessment. For more details on this proposal, see ERO Notice 019-2557
View materials in person
Important notice: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, viewing supporting materials in person is not available at this time.
Please reach out to the Contact listed in this notice to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice