This consultation was open from:
October 28, 2019
to November 27, 2019
The proposed Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2019 is the third in a series of bills through Ontario’s Open for Business Action Plan. The bill introduces new measures to further ease the regulatory burden to help businesses, people, schools, hospitals and municipalities.
The government is committed to bringing forward a series of red tape reduction packages over the coming years to eliminate or reduce costly requirements on Ontario businesses, while improving Ontario’s competitiveness.
The proposed Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2019 aims to modernize regulatory requirements that are outdated, ineffective, or duplicative of federal regulations or municipal bylaws.
The bill, if passed, would make several legislative changes across multiple ministries including:
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Ministry of the Attorney General
- Ministry of Colleges and Universities
- Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade
- Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines
- Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries
- Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Ministry of Transportation
A copy of the proposed legislation is available on the website identified at the bottom of this Notice.
Where there are environmental impacts from proposed legislative amendments in the bill, individual ministries have posted their own notices on the environmental registry for their respective legislative proposals.
Details regarding proposed legislative amendments by Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines may be accessed via the following link:
Details regarding proposed legislative amendments by Ministry of the Environment, Conservation, and Parks may be accessed via the following link:
- Amendments to the Pesticides Act
- Changing the Mandate of the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority
- Holding polluters accountable by expanding the use of administrative monetary penalties for environmental contraventions
- Repealing Section 172 of the Environmental Protection Act
- Transfer of motor vehicle provisions from the Environmental Protection Act to the Highway Traffic Act
- Waterpower Exemption from Permits To Take Water
Details regarding proposed legislative amendments by Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry may be accessed via the following link:
Amendments to Three Statutes administered by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to support the proposed Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2019 and a proposal for a new regulation under the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act
View materials in person
Some supporting materials may not be available online. If this is the case, you can request to view the materials in person.
Get in touch with the office listed below to find out if materials are available.
Connect with us
Sign up for notifications
We will send you email notifications with any updates related to this consultation. You can change your notification preferences anytime by visiting settings in your profile page.Follow this notice